Monday 3 April 2017

The Development of Unexpected Linkages Series (Part.2)





By using the 3D CAD program, I drew the nandipada and superimposed the symbols onto Headpiece on my computer screen (Fig. 1).

Fig. 1
Superimposed Nandipada onto Headpiece,
2014,
3D CAD Expression.

In my artwork, the human head incorporates the style of Greek and Roman glass, representations of Buddhism, and a Korean traditional hairstyle. My imaginative interpretations combined different cultural elements and this became a composite artwork.

I have employed ancient visual languages to describe the complexities of cultural interactions in the present day. American sociologist Slimbach Richard (2005, p. 205) points out: ‘Today, who we are (by birth) and where we are (by choice) is not as relevant as it once was. More persons than ever before are pursuing lives that link the local and the global.’ Also, Welsch ‘proposes transculturality as an appropriate means to articulate contemporary cultures’ (Welsch 1999 cited in Connolly 2007, p. 37).

The understanding of cultural interactions, similarities, and differences are more complicated than ever and it is useful for us to attempt to understand this. Jewellery can describe transculturality and remove boundaries between different cultures.



My Headpiece became a trigger to develop a collage (Fig.2). I juxtaposed the image of the ancient Korean golden earrings next to the headpiece. The earrings looked as if they could be arms and hands. I then continued to find symbols, patterns and relics, which could represent knees, feet, and torso. In doing so, my use of juxaposition generated the unexpected robot figure.



My investigation of the relics of the three kingdoms is proof of an understanding of the ‘historical reality’ of their cultural differences. My re-interpretation of their relics generated the illusion of a robot. This derived from my memory of watching a Korean animation titled Robot Taekwon V (1976), which was directed by Cheong-gi Kim. I was fascinated by a supporting character called Tin Robot in the animation. The character is a young boy who built armor by using a kettle, a tin bucket, and stovepipes (Figs 3). This inspired me to create a ridiculous-looking robot figure in my project.



Fig.3
Making of a Tin Robot,
A Scene from the Animation Robot Taekwon V (1976),
© Cooperation of Robot Taekwon V.
 




















 





No comments:

Post a Comment